Saturday 3 October 2009

Looking back...

...over different times(moving does that), I realised how long I've been researching my family history. I actually drew up the first map before I was married. I think it must have been something at the later stages of school, a project or something.
I gradually added children as my cousins produced descendants. Then I had my sons and the plan went away until a younger cousin was told I'd started, and asked it she could continue. I gave her a copy, and got on with growing sons...
Several years later I started to help my husband with his tree...as they knew very little about their history other than immediate family. Again, time ran out on our searching, and it was also put to one side...
We both had family stories, tales told...legends grew...and things changed just like Chinese Whispers, but what was the actual stories of these names, these peoples lives...who were they, and by definition who are we?
Nearly seven years ago one cousin decided to have a family party, just as we had when we were all children...and he set up in one corner a basic tree...the one I'd given to someone all those years before...with added anecdotes and photos. It was strange seeing us altogether again...but, time passed by, until my father died suddenly four years ago and I thought about my family, and all those ancestors who I'd never known. I mean, my wider maternal family were out there too...so, I started on a journey to discover who these people were, how did they live...what made them move from place to place....these people who have made me...and my sons and grandsons... I have unconfirmed details going back to the 1400's...now I have to visit parish churches, and kindly vicars...and county record offices...
For the lads in my life, I've also been researching my husbands family...with some surprises for them...and now! I've just started on my daughter in laws family...with the help of my grandsons...and for them...

No comments: