Sunday 14 June 2009

After all...

...this weeks doings and not doings, I had to go into Cambridge...collecting some tickets for our youngest son. (Why do places put popular tickets on sale during most people's work times?)

The only way to visit the city is going "Park and Ride"...which I see they now have a two tier pricing system for...£2.50 if you get your ticket from the driver, and £2.30 if you purchase it from the ticket machine, for which you'll need the correct money (no change given) and patience...the queue is long. I had neither and paid the extra 20p. If there's only one of you it's cost effective, otherwise go into the back of the city, drop your passengers, then drive out and park, it defeats the object, but the city car parks are horrendously expensive...and the meters are patrolled.

PS...don't use Trumpington (yes it is a real place!) car park on a Saturday...the bus goes round in circles first, getting more delayed as the day progresses.

Anyway...on the bus ride into town I noticed signs for a Town and Country Show on Parkers Piece, never one to ignore such invitations, I collected the tickets and walked to the green...it was busy with marquees of crafts, from the ever present jewellery stands through wood-turners and artists, with the food producers in a separate one....cheese, fudge, pies...a chocolate fountain with skewers of delicacies to cupcakes... I resisted, just succumbing to a stall selling elderflower presse with raspberry....that was nice! Further round there were the mix of food outlets...burgers to salads...you take your pick. A fun fair running in the background...and a central arena...I watched the story of the Suffolk Punch, an endangered work horse. They are huge, beautiful and so gentle. They are as endangered as the Panda and closer to home! If you want more information you can read about the pub and farm at Nayland here... The Anchor's Suffolk Punches. Following those was a show of sheep shearing, and different breeds...

Walking around, I discovered knights awaiting combat, brave souls who put on a great entertainment...the last event was to be a melee at 4:00, which was and is a general fight until the last man is standing. Children love it!

I've previously mentioned the university is eight hundred years old this year, and they were there, with a tent for the children...make your own fossils and art...with players taking the part of benefactors of some of the colleges. The university has some great museums too, which are very often overlooked by visitors.

The city council had taken the opportunity to launch their Environment Festival there too...

Not quite my planned day, but more enjoyed...I had a great time...and I didn't have my camera with me!

And did I mention...entry is free...

No comments: